Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Eat From the Pantry Challenge Update Four

Went to the store again, plus got another great box of produce from our CSA.

Here is where I am for the grocery budget for the month:

So for food so far I have spent:
Shopping Trip #1 $4.04
CSA Subscription $39
Shopping Trip #2 $42.18
Shopping Trip #3 $46.23
CSA Subscription $39
TOTAL $170.45

So it is pretty clear that I am not going to meet my $200 goal for the month, seeing that it is only the 20th. Actually I know I am not, because I have not included some beef that I purchased from a ranch in Eastern Washington and will be picking up on Saturday. But I am ok with that. I realized at some point that I had almost no meat in my house when the challenge started.

I considered not purchasing meat this month but decided that it was important that we have it and I should not go without for the challenge. We only eat meat for dinner 1 night a week or so and I want to keep it that way. So in addition to the coming beef, I got some good prices on chicken and stocked up a bit. I probably have enough chicken for Jan and Feb and maybe even some of March, and probably the same for beef once my delivery comes. That is why I will not make my goal.

I am, however, thrilled with the challenge. We have eaten so many things from our freezer and I am so happy that we are utilizing all of that food, mostly produce I froze in the summer and fall. The other thing I am happy about is that we have thrown nothing out this month and have really been careful to consume every leftover and every random bit of food. It has been great!

No comments: