Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Read-Aloud Handbook

"This is not a book about teaching a child to read; it's about teaching a child to want to read."
---Introduction, The Read-Aloud Handbook, by Jim Trelease




I love books and love reading with my kids. When I heard of this book, I decided to get it from my local library. The Read-Aloud Handbook was a very interesting book. It had tons of information about why it is important to read to your kids for their WHOLE lives, not just when they are too young to read for themselves. Basically, that is how you get a child to want to read, by reading to him.

A lot of the book was somewhat political, and there were lots of facts and figures to trudge through. There were some really neat anecdotes and lots of ideas of books to read with the kids that really did make the book worthwhile. I am excited to share some of my new finds with my kids.

I'm not really going to do a book review, but there is a lengthy one on another blog. In fact The Simple Dollar is where I first heard of the book.

Enjoy reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds really interesting! Thanks for the recommendation.